Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Spooky Start To The New Year

Happy 2009

I was just starting to write a different post over at my First Tea blog about New Years Eve, when all of a sudden in the stillness of my home I got the daylights scared out of me.

I'm sitting in my living room with no TV on, no radio, not a sound can be heard except the ticking of my clock on the wall.



As I was thinking of how to phrase my words, a mans voice spoke out loud and clear. I'm not kidding you. I heard it just as plain as day, and I wasn't imagining it.

I looked at the TV to see if I had some how, accidentally, pressed the On button of the remote. Nope it was off.

I looked down at the sound bar on my computer to see if it had come from the computer. Nope, the horn had this symbol over it.

I had just been writing my first 2009 entry in my new journal. It was letter to God and it was full of questions I am hoping he'll answer sometime this year. Then just minutes later, right over my head, this big booming voice comes out of no where and says

" TURN LEFT AND YOU WILL ARRIVE AT YOUR FINAL DESTINATION. "

I almost wet myself.

I knew I'd been eating too many Christmas cookies and treats lately and wondered for a second if this voice was issuing my marching orders for my arrival at the Pearly Gates.

My heart was pounding out of my chest, and I played like Fred Sanford and clutched my chest and said "Oh Oh This is it, the big one! Oh Ed, I'm coming honey" ...................

And then all at once I realized that the sound was coming from the GPS Tom Tom the kids had gotten me for Christmas. It was sitting on the roll top desk directly behind me.

Wendy had programed it for me about this time on Christmas Day, so I'm guessing it must update itself weekly and that's why it suddenly came on. Couldn't help but start laughing hyterically.


When Wendy was programming it she asked me if I wanted a man's voice or a woman's voice.

I told her "definitely a woman's voice since it has been so long since since I've had to take directions from a man I don't know if I could do it anymore."

Either Wendy doesn't listen well, or else I have a very butch female giving me driving orders.

Oh well, it was a fun way to start 2009.





4 comments:

Linds said...

Luanne, I nearly fell off the chair I was laughing so hard! Oh my, you must have nearly had a heart attack. Hysterical. Now I am laughing again. What a brilliant post to start the new year! I think I need one of those GPS thingys too!

Carrie said...

Oh, my goodness, that is hilarious. My hubby has a GPS, and it's REALLY nice, but yeah, that would be creepy!!! :)

Thank you for the comment on my blog- my little guy IS such a joy!! :)

Debby said...

Oh wow I just laughed out loud really loud!

Love our TomTom...we call her Sexy Sheila...we obviously chose the female voice!

Anonymous said...

Good heavens, how spooky - and how you write about it! Hilarius, indeed! :-D Finding this blog was definitely the best thing that happened to me today. I also read your other blog and became so blessed. If only I could, I'd thank this Father X for the wise words he said about families in his sermon.

I have a blog in Blogger, but it's of no use to you, because it is Finnish. So I sign this only with my name.

Good bless you, Luanne, richly!

With warm greetings,
Päivi from Finland