Thursday, July 10, 2008

Just me n' the boys

A Hundred years from now it will not matter, what my bank account was, what kind of house I lived in or what kind of car I drove....but the world may be a better place because I was important in the life of a CHILD! Dr. Forest E Witcraft


This summer I'm spending time with my grandsons while their mom is at work.


Its not exactly where I thought the Lord was leading last year when he was told me it was time to leave my job.

I must admit, after having just returned from the 2007 S
he Speaks conference a few months before I was hoping it meant the publishers would love my proposal and want publish my book. Nope that wasn't what he had in mind.


So this year I signed up for the Speaker tract. Nope I don't feel the tug along those lines either.


But he's presented me with the opportunity to make a difference in 3 boys lives this summer. We're having fun and I hope were making memories that will last a lifetime.


We're going to parades







We're making Rainbow Jell-o



We have exercise toys-

Back yard games

Indoor games







Quiet activities


Rainy day fun


And even Wednesday morning Mass.
But today, instead of coming to my house to have fun, they were supposed to be staying home cleaning bedrooms for an upcoming birthday party.


After an appointment, I decided to surprise them and lend a helping hand. On my way over I stopped at Walmart and picked up some platic tubs so we could sort the clothes they'd outgrown.



They were surprised all right! Oh my, I thought a tornado had hit the house! I mean there wasn't a place to walk without stepping on something. I began folding clothes and they began picking up about a gazillion football and baseball cards that were laying on the ground.



One of the twins had to call his mom for something. "Don't tell her I'm here."


How come Grandma? Do you want her to think we cleanned this by ourselves?


No, I want her to be surprised that it looks nice, but if she knows I'm here helping, she might think it will look better than it does, and she'll be disappointed. (I don't have the cleanning capacity I used to have. )


Grandma, do we have to tell Mom you helped us?



Before I could say "would that be the honest thing to do?, oldest grandson said

"I don't think we should do that."


I was just about to go into an, aww I'm so proud of my grandson for being honest, mode, when he said, "If she thinks we got it this clean by ourselves, she'll expect us to always do this good of a job!"



4 hours later I bid the boys farewell and loaded a trunk full of clothes for the Rescue Mission.



I'm exhausted.

And oh by the way, dear daughter if your reading this, there was one little problem. Umm, You may want to stop and pick up a new vaccuum on your way home.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Oh ma'am what a joy for your grandsons to have you. Some of my best childhood memories are from times spent with my grandma. There's nothing like the love of a grandparent!!

Carrie said...

How fun! :) Glad you're having fun with your grandsons! :) I LOVE that quote that you started your post with- one of my favorites as a (former) teacher, parent & Christian camp worker! :)