Monday, July 7, 2008

Female Warrior


I'm jumping ahead. Tomorrow begins week 2 of the bible study Lelia Chealey is hosting on Lysa TerKeursts book "What Happens When Women Walk in Faith". But God has put something on my heart that just can't wait until tomorrow.



At the end of chapter two Lysa asks us to research the meaning of our names. I'd already done it a few years ago when I began reading The Yada Yada Prayer Group series. Jody Baxter the main character in the books researches the meaning of her students as well as her prayer group's name. It piqued an interest to find out the meaning of my name.



I discovered the name Luanne means "Female Warrior".(click here to find the meaning of your name)
I had to laugh when I read it because the name was so fitting to my character. I've been told more than once that I love playing the devil's advocate. I never consider it to be the devil I'm advocating for. I usually fight for the underdog.



Just last week on our "up north girls only vacation" we began a discussion on what clothes you should never wear without nylons. From there we began looking at pictures of years past and we were cracking up at outfits that we thought were so cool and now looked so dorky. We had teased one of our friends for years about the time she wore black nylons with white pants. She's taken it well all these years but I'm sure she gets sick of hearing about it.


A few months ago I was watching Good Morning America and noticed that Diane Sawyer was wearing black nylons with a white skirt. Even though it was only 7:30 in the morning, I called my friend to have her turn on the TV.



When the fashion topic came up this year she felt quite vindicated knowing she was in the company of Diane Sawyer. But the whole discussion has made me realize how hurtful our opinions on what should be socially acceptable can be. I couldn't help but think about Lysa's story of wearing white shoes out of season to a country club engagement.



I opened my big mouth and gave my opinion about giving our opinions, and one of my friends pointed out that sometimes voicing our opinion is necessary in order to create change. Her comment silenced me. I'd have to give it some thought.


Since then I've begun to wonder how many of our opinions that we give in the name of righteousness would probably be self righteous in the eyes of Jesus'. Ouch, Ouch and Ouch again.

The Pharisees and Sadducee's had the law correct and Jesus never condemed them for following the law. He condemed them for looking down their nose at someone who wasn't.


I want to share a story with you of something similar that happened to my grandson.
Several weeks ago, my oldest grandson came to my house after school. I overheard him talking to his mother on the phone. She was questioning him about something that had gone on at school the day before.

My grandson attends public school and over lunch one of his good friends stood up and announced that he was moving to a different table and he wanted everyone who loved Jesus to move to the table with him. My grandson stayed at the table where he was, along with twin brothers who were his good friends also.

Needless to say that for the next few days the talk of his peer group was that he (oldest grandson) doesn't love Jesus. My daughter had learned of this from the mother of one of the boys who had moved to the other table.



When oldest grandson told me the story my first reaction was to clutch my chest as I waited for the lightening to come down from above and strike him dead. But the Holy Spirit prompted me to use restraint and so I quietly I asked, "Why didn't you move to the other table?"

He answered "Grama, it just didn't feel like the right thing to do, because A and B would have been sitting there alone and I didn't want them to feel embarrased because their parents don't take them to church."

My heart wanted to burst with pride for his compassion.

I replied "I believe that is the way Jesus would have handled it too!
If that should ever happen again I hope you will remember and be brave enough to say "I love Jesus, but I prefer to stay right here.
Maybe that will show your friends who don't know about Jesus, that you are proud to love Jesus, but also that you aren't judging themI believe that is what living your faith means and it just may attract them to God more then seperating yourself from them will." I related it to Tom Sawyer having so much fun painting the fence that his friends wanted to paint too. Okay I know that you shouldn't pretend you love Jesus but in theory it's kind of the same idea. Lead by example.

My heart wanted to break that already at 11 years old he is having to make hard decisions. And yet how much I rejoiced for the reminder that God is already deeply involved in my grandsons life.
I would love it if you would help me pray for my grandson. Pray that he will never be afraid to admit his love for Jesus, and that his compassion would love others to Christ.
Now for the main thing: After being at the She Speaks conference and now going through this bible study, I've been getting a little antsy for God to hurry up and show me where exactly he is leading.
I have some ideas but I'm trying to be open and not rush ahead like I've done so many times in the past.
Today God prompted me take a baby step in the direction of something I feel passionate about. Since my name means female warrior I've decided to war against the sexual promiscuity that is causing an STD epidemic among our teenage population today. I've been up in arms ever since I heard pediatrician, Dr. Meg Meeker, on the radio. Please take the time to listen to this 3 part series .
Part 2 (be patient, this one skips at the beginning)
I get so frustrated when I listen to Dr Meeker talk about young teens having sex because they feel it will make them more cool, it will help them fit in, or because they are trying to fix a bigger problem , a need to feel loved.
I just wantted to shake every teenager I knew into right thinking but then I remember all of the mistakes that I, as a woman of 50, made for one of the same reasons.
If you've been following my blog First Tea you've been reading about some of those mistakes. I've been posting them so maybe just one person will read it and identify and let God change their thinking as he did for me.
After listening to Dr Meeker I hope you will join me in fighting the war that Satan is waging against our children and be a voice that can point them to the One that thinks they are way cooler than they could ever imagine.



4 comments:

Michelle said...

I found your blog through Lelia's study. Your post is moving.

Please tell your grandson I am proud of his compassion, and I will pray for him to continue to be an example of Jesus' love.

Fight on warrior! I'm with you. Blessings!

Sandra Garcia said...

I'm going to come back and listen to the three part series when my little ones are in bed. The story about your grandson moved me to tears. I just love hearing stories about children and their faith.

Mindy said...

Thank u so much for ur kind words on my blog and for praying. I will most certainly pray for your son as well.

Lelia Chealey said...

When no one thought your grandson was taking a stand, him staying in his seat is exactly the stand Jesus wanted him to take. How awesome is your grandson????
Satan is on a warpath and going for our kids. My son will be freshman this year in a public school. Scares me to death, but I have to believe that he is going to make a better choice than his older sister did. I love my granddaugther to pieces, but I wish her mother wasn't a child herself. Waiting isn't even in these kids' language.
Blessings,
Lelia