Monday, March 24, 2008

Resurrection Sunday


The definition of “resurrection” in the Encarta dictionary is as follows: rising from the dead-in some systems of belief, a rising from, or raising of somebody from the dead, or the state of having risen from the dead

Yesterday was Resurrection Sunday for my family in more ways than one.

My husband’s family gathered for an Easter celebration hosted by my son Dan and his soon to be new/old wife Ann. I say that because they were married, divorced and are now back together, a sort of resurrection of their marriage you might say. Here is the happy couple


I am so happy that they volunteered to have Easter dinner at their house even if I couldn’t be there to join them.
It’s good to see the house coming to life again.
The house Danny and Ann live in belonged to me and my husband Ed. We built the house as our dream home in 1978 and for many years the house saw much love and laughter during family gatherings and parties for our friends and associates.

After Ed died, I kept the house and the eight plus acres it sat on for 13 years.

The acreage was part of the farm I grew up on. Each sibling received a parcel of land on which to build a home. My sister lived next door, and after my dad sold the original farm he retained a portion and put up a small house next door to my sister.

I was ready to sell my house the first year after Ed died, but selling part of my heritage seemed as though I was being ungrateful for my parents gift of the land and it also felt like I was breaking family ties.
Instead of selling, I decided to give the house a make over and make it MY home and not ours. I thought maybe, if I could erase the traces of Ed, it would make the pain go away.
I did get agreat new kitchen in the make over, and eventually the pain stopped on its own.

The following year I got the itch to move once again and when I mentioned it to the children, Danny looked at me and as tears ran down his cheeks he said,
Maybe that’s why I can never picture my family sitting around the tree at Christmas when I try. That’s because you won’t be living here.”

It broke my heart!

A few years later I got the bug once again, when I was moving to Florida.

This time my daughter Wendy wanted to buy the house from me. I loved the idea at first and then I started doubting whether or not it was what God wanted me to do. I prayed about it for a few days and then one day opened the bible to see if I could get a word from the Lord.

I don’t remember what I read on the page I opened to, or even what book of the Bible I was reading, but it talked about widowhood, and children dying, and fire. I’m sure I took the passage totally out of context at the time but all I could visualize was my grandchildren burning up in the house, so I decided to wait until after I tried living in Florida to sell it. My reasons for not selling seemed silly so I couldn't tell Wendy the real reason, I just told her I decided not to sell.

The decision turned out to be a good one. Florida was just God's training ground for me and not where He wanted me remain.
I moved back home. Living so close to my dad just before he died made it so much easier for my sister and me to give him the care he needed in order for him to remain in his home.

But after Dad died, the house began to feel like an open sore to me. I no longer wanted to decorate it or even keep it clean. I felt weighed down and over burdened by the taxes and with the maintenance.

The back yard pool that had been such a joy was a chore to keep clean and sanitized, and , we only swam in it three times the last year before I filled it in.

The back yard deck became weathered and darkened, and a year went by without putting out the patio furniture.

Some days I would remember the how wonderful the yard looked after being mowed, the petunia’s decorating the foundation and the trees and bushes weed whacked clean; the back yard open and the blue pool, sparkling and inviting, and the table umbrella shading us from the hot sun. Days when my house was a home for a family and not for a single woman. Those days no longer existed.

But 9 months after my dad’s death I finally felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders, and I felt free at last to sell the house and move away.

Danny and Ann were back together and ready to begin living together once again. I offered to sell the house to the two of them. The timing was right. Things fell into place and I felt Gods blessing on my decision.

What I didn’t anticipate however, was how much my daughter would be hurt over my decision. She and Stephen would have had to sell their home before they could buy mine and in Michigan that is not an easy thing to do. I thought she would be happy that it could stay in the family. I hoped she would get over it as soon as she saw how much easier it would be for her to have me living so close. But it didn’t happen.

The day I moved out was the last time she stepped foot into the house. I have been praying daily for God to heal her heart.

Yesterday on Resurrection Sunday, God answered my prayers. Wendy joined the rest of her family for the Easter dinner. I know how hard it was for her to swallow her pride and I know there will still be healing that needs to take place. But with God’s help she has made the first step and broken free from the chains that held her.

My daughter in-laws artistic touches and my son’s handy work have resurrected a dying home and my daughter and grandsons presence have filled it once again with Joy!

Thank you Father, for making all things new again.

No comments: