Monday, March 10, 2008

The Beach



Naples, Florida: Day 9

Yesterday we changed our clock ahead one hour. My clocks were in order, but my body was an hour behind. I rushed to church instead of making it a leisurely experience. Well actually my body is a lot more than an hour behind. Its been playing catch up longer than I'd like to admit.

It is amazing to me how hard and how long it takes to get into shape and how quickly you can slip back. I’m not talking about a well oiled machine kind of shape, but the kind of shape where you can walk a mile or two without huffing and puffing after.



















4 years ago I walked 3 miles a day. 1.5 miles to the complex gate and 1.5 miles back. I could do it in 45 minutes. While a 15 minute mile may be slow, it felt like a marathon to me. My short feet and short legs make for a very short stride.

Oh my how I have lost ground. A week ago I walked 1.75 miles and it took me an hour. I could make excuses and say my foot has not healed yet and I’m four years older, but the truth is the 20 plus pounds I’ve put on and the sedentary life style I’ve been leading are the real culprits. My goal is to do the 3 miles in 50 minutes before I leave in 20 days.

Yesterday I went to the beach for the first time. I forgot how much easier it is to walk beside the Gulf and watch the waves crash than it is to walk on a sidewalk. But yesterday I was too busy snapping pictures with my new camera to get in much walking. I was practicing taking pictures using my zoom.



I know this is a little voyeuristic, but I needed a closer look at those blue and gold chairs. I think a Michigan Wolverine fan lives in this condo.




















I was so busy looking around to see what I wanted to take a picture of that I almost stepped on this. Yikes!!







Up close it looks like miniature corn cobs.















I love watching the pelicans. If you look close he is just ready to swallow the fish.









Day One of Daylight savings has changed the time of sunset by an hour. I failed to take that into consideration when I headed off to the beach to see the sun set. Silly me!




Dinner is in the oven so sunset at the beach will have to wait for another day. This is as close to setting as I'll see today.


No comments: