Monday, February 16, 2009

Here's To My Guardian Angel

One of the least favorite purchases I've made in my life time would have to be my coffee table. It was with the furniture grouping when I picked out the sofa and chair and I really liked it in the big warehouse, but when they delivered it to my small duplex it became more of an annoyance.



Keeping the glass free from dust and fingerprints with 3 boys is a job in itself. But what I really didn't like about it was that it just took up too much room.



A few months ago I moved it accross the room and away from the sofa. There it served as a collect all (sort of like the picture below). But yesterday I moved the livingroom furniture and finally moved it back to its rightful place.


When I closed the blinds last night I noticed that one of the panels was out of alignment and so I stood on the sofa to try and readjust it.

Big mistake.

As I stepped on the sofa, my foot went between the cushions, and as I tried to pull it out I lost my balance and started to fall backwards.

It was almost like an out of body experience. I could feel myself falling and I knew I was going to land on the glass coffee table but it was as though I was falling in sloooooow motion. I braced myself for the impact as I waited for the sound of shattering glass.



This picture was taken last year. Notice the amount of glass. There is about a 1/8 piece of wood that goes around the edges of the glass, a 3 inch base all around the table hold the heavy glass. There is nothing in the center holding the glass, only the 3 inch base.

That is the part that I landed on. Its hard to believe that this big body of mine could have escaped landing in the middle of the glass but by a miracle it did

I will say in retrospect that it honestly felt like something or someone had cushioned my fall. I don't even have a bruise.

It was a little scarey getting up after the fall. I knew I was laying on the glass and I was a bit afraid to put my weight on it and try and sit up, so I just kind of slid off. Not a pretty picture with arms and legs flailing all over the place.

After cleaning up the mess I realized I should have taken some pictures so I tried to recreate the scene before taking the remains out to the trash this morning.


Here is the table without the glass.



Here's the glass still in one piece but leaning against the wall.



Here are the splintered legs. Look at the point on that one piece. It could have pierced me but it didn't.




After the ordeal I sat down and had a glass of wine and toasted my guardian angel. I think he enjoyed the refreshment more than I did.






4 comments:

Janine said...

Wow! And huge, huge sigh of relief.
Yay for him ..... and you!

Janine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linds said...

Good grief! I am so thankful your guardian angel was present, Luanne. That could have been horrendous. Amazing you don't have any bruise too. A miracle!

Debby said...

Wow!