Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Morning Revelations

Because of the LORD'S great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.



I say to myself, "The Lord is my protion; therefore I will wait for him." Lamntations 3:22-24 (NIV)





Yesterday, Michigan’s weather was bitter cold and by late afternoon the snow was beginning to fall again. As a result, I stayed hunkered down and I spent most of my afternoon and evening on the internet checking out blogs. What I found greatly distressed me.

I found eloquent writing that painted precise visual pictures in my mind. I found scriptural writings that could have been delivered as a sermon by Billy Graham. There were humorous writings that made me laugh until I cried and touching, heartfelt, testimonies that had me wishing I could walk in their shoes so I could experience the same life saving grace that had been given to them.

But the main thing I found as I scanned the multitude of blogs last night was how my writing paled in comparison.

By bedtime my heart was broken and as I knelt beside my bed I called out to God:

“How did I get it so wrong Lord? How did I misunderstand your call to write? Why did I think I could write for your glory just because I enjoy doing it so much? Please help me do what it takes to discern your will for me now and move in the right direction. Please show me what you would have me do.”

In my quiet time with God this morning, he revealed something that eased my hurting heart as I read the daily reading from a booklet called ” The Word for You Today”
http://newlifelancaster.org/content/




The reading for today was based on Numbers 14:24 (NIV)





“The Spirit of Caleb”

Caleb wasn’t into “safe living.” As a young man he came back from the Promised Land, stood with the minority and announced, “With God on our side we’ll take it!” At 85, he was still slaying giants and claiming mountains. That’s because he had a “different spirit.” He wasn’t a “go with the flow and expect the status quo” guy.

Richard Edler writes: “safe living generally makes for regrets later on. We are all given talents and dreams. Sometimes the two don’t seem to match. But usually we compromise both before ever finding out. Later on, we find ourselves looking back longingly to that time when we should have chased our true dreams and our true talents for all they were worth. Don’t let yourself be pressured into thinking that your dreams or your talents aren’t prudent. They were never meant to be prudent. They were meant to bring joy and fulfillment into your life.” If a caterpillar refuses to get into its cocoon it’ll never transform and will be forever relegated to crawling on the ground, even though it had the potential to fly.

What do you believe God’s called you to do? Do it! God’s not limited by your IQ, He’s limited by your “I will.” The poet said: “If you think you are beaten, you are. If you dare not, you don’t. If you’d like to win but you think you can’t, its almost certain you won’t. Life’s battles don’t always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the man who wins, is the man who believes he can.”
The spirit of Caleb is the “can do” spirit! Have you got it? “

What a beautiful reminder from God to keep writing for his glory and quit judging the talents he gives me with the talents he gives to others. A reminder that I'm writing for the pleasure it gives me and not for the esteem of my colleagues.



As he has pointed out in the past, my job is to obey, and leave the results to Him.

So God, this blog is especially for you. Thank you for loving me and using me in whatever way you wish. Thank you for the inspiring words you have given Pastors Chris and Amy Foster at New Life Church. I can’t count the number of times you have used their words to encourage, and guide me.

And thanks too, for my friend Al. Without her passing their church devotional to me I never would have stumbled on to this wonderful addition to my life.





1 comment:

Holly said...

Thank you for the very sweet comments on Lysa's blog today. How kind of you to encourage me in such a great way. Please know that I really appreciated it!