Thursday, January 17, 2008

Blogging 101 - What I Learned Today

I have been having a ball since I had my foot operated on in November. With my leg encased in a Christmas red cast, my lack of mobility confined me to my overstuffed living room chair.


It was there that I became best friends with my laptop computer and I began logging on to the blog of one of my favorite authors, Lysa TerKeurst.


She makes me laugh, she makes me cry, but to be honest it was her Give Away contest that kept me coming back at first…then it was too late.


With a healed foot (Thank You Jesus), I am now able to move about freely but I have found I have developed an addiction, and I’m hopelessly hooked on blogging.


You wouldn't believe the amount of time I have spent reading comments and checking out other blogs and then going back to mine hoping to see a message waiting. I feel so voyeuristic, and some days I feel as if the blogging police will come and knock on my door and handcuff my computer.

I begin each morning by grabbing a cup of coffee and crawling back into bed to spend some quiet time with the Lord before starting my day. Lately, I’ve had to apologize to God over and over when I find myself rushing thru my quiet time with him so I can log on to the computer. My addiction has gotten so bad that I thought I would have to start looking for some kind of patch I could wear to stop.

I was all set to go cold turkey, when Lysa dangled the carrot - this week she’s giving pointers on how to become a published writer.

This morning along with my cup of coffee, I brought the lap top computer back to bed. I wanted to be ready as soon as Lysa posted her blog for the day.


Today Lysa asked us to go to the blogs of 3 certain woman and then leave a comment telling her something we learned.

As usual I had too many thoughts to leave in a comment box, so instead I decided to post my comments to this blog.

If you clicked over from Lysa’s blog, you’ll understand my comments. But if you’ve stumbled on to my blog by accident do yourself a favor and check out Lysa’s blog then you'll understand why I feel so old.


What I learned from reading today’s blog posts:

1. Lysa TerKeurst-
http://lysaterkeurst.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html

I learned that I am so old enough to be your mother. People used to ask “Do you remember what you were doing when Kennedy got shot” Well Lysa you weren’t even a gleam in your Pappy’s eye yet. (But you’re probably too young to have heard that expression too.)


2. Marybeth Whalen-
http://www.marybethwhalen.com/2008/01/balancing-motherhood-and-writing.html
Even though her perfect day sounds perfect to me, God directed me to her side bar. Under the heading “Momtourage” I clicked on “Mourning Into Dance” and then clicked “Hands” I don’t even know who’s blog I was on but it was the exact thing God was working on with me this morning during my time quiet time.

3. Lisa Whittle-
http://lisawhittle.blogspot.com/2008/01/from-lysa-terkeursts-blogto-mine.html
Same scenario. After reading what Lisa had to say I clicked on her side bar of previous posts and went way back to one called “Divine Encounter” and again found something God has been putting on my heart to write about. Nice story. But the main revelation I came away with was for the book I have already written. Perhaps instead of 1 book I have 2 or 3. Maybe that’s why I was having so much trouble deciphering which theme I wanted for my main focus.

4. Mary DeMuth-
http://www.wannabepublished.blogspot.com/
Well let’s just say as I visited her blog I was treated to a grande` size cup of humility to go with a super-sized slice of Humble Pie. Boy do I have some work to do!

Now if you don’t mind it's time for this old geezer to go put some Ben-Gay on my decrepit joints!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

luanne,
thank you for sharing this--the way you write is so inviting and humble and loving...

i hope you have a wonderful thursday evening!

love

jess

p.s. i'm "Mourning into Dancing"- i'm glad you liked "Hands"