Sunday, October 19, 2008

She Fought the Fight and Finished the Race


A few months ago I posted about a benefit dinner I was blessed to be a part of. The benefit was for Deb, a woman in our bible study group who had been battling cancer for over 6 years.


I learned this morning that Deb's battle has finally ended and she is at peace in the arms of God. She fought the good fight, she finished the race, and she kept the faith. Now it's time for her to recieve her crown of righteousness.


What a wonderful woman she was. Deb never married, and she had no children of her own to pass on her legacy, but she will live in the hearts of a many for a long time. Deb has given unselfishly for over 30 years to help the youth of our community.


I remember driving her for a chemo treatment last fall. After it was over and she struggled to lift her leg, terribly swollen with lymphedema, into the van, I asked if she would like me to stop for anything on the way home. She said she would like to go right home. I could understand why she was anxious to get home and rest.
But instead she told me she was anxious to get home to attend a board meeting for the youth group she was involved with.


Debs heart was always feeling for the needs of someone else. Her prayer requests were never for herself, but always for family members, especially her nephew and his young daughter. It was her most fervent prayer that they would both give their hearts to Jesus.
One night at bible study, as she again asked prayer for someone else, we asked if there was anything she needed. That's when she shared with us that her cancer had spread to her brain, and she would be happy for the prayers, if we wouldn't mind praying for her.


So dear blogging family, today I'm celebrating the life of my friend Deb and in her memory and in her style I will take on her prayer request. I'm asking you to help me pray for Debs family, that they may feel Christs loving presence as they grieve. And if you wouldn't mind, please help me pray that her nephew and her grand niece will draw near to Christ, and they will turn their hearts to Him.
Love You Deb, Rest In Peace.




1 comment:

Janine said...

I'm praying right along with you. What a lovely post about such a lovely woman. You are both lovely.
J.