Sunday, September 7, 2008

Is Anything Too Hard For The Lord?

God blessed me so abundantly this weekend. He's always blessing my life but this was one of those time you don't want to end.

This weekend was the first session of my Lay Ministry program. It absolutely exceeded my expectations, and believe me, my expectations were high.

The people involved in the program have all experienced a call from God to some type of ministry. Some already know where God is directing and some of us only have an inkling. But all seem sure of the call.

The classes will lead us to a deeper understanding of Christs ministry as we study the scriptures. As we study, the Holy Spirit will show us how we are best equipped to answer our awesome call.

And speaking of the call..... I have to share a funny story.

Thursday evening was our Parish Council meeting. When the Director of Education gave her report she told everyone how badly catechists were needed. She mentioned it twice.

Next she commented on the success of Vacation Bible School and told everyone what a great job she thought I had done leading the Bible Blast Station. She seemed to draw the words out and I wondered if she was hinting for me to volunteer to teach one of the children's classes.

I kept my head down and avoided eye contact and rode out the silence. Thankfully, I had just listened to a teaching tape about women who volunteer because they can't stand to hear the silent pause when no one is stepping up to plate.

I was certain that God was directing me towards women's ministry and not towards children's liturgy, but nevertheless, all the way home from the meeting I felt this tugging at my spirit.

"Lord, I said, This is not where you have been leading me, I'm sure of it. After all , I've already put my time in teaching kids, I'm too old and they won't be able too relate. I want to lead their mom's not them!

Besides Lord, doesn't all the time I've been spending with my grandsons lately, count for anything? I think this must be Satan trying to keep me from the ministry you want for me."


God just let me keep talking - the poor guy probably couldn't get a word in edgewise. When it was time for bed I was still stressing over those guilt feelings for not volunteering.

Finally I said, "Okay I'll do it if you want, but, just so I know this is you and not Satan I need to hear Ginger ask me if I will specifically teach 4th grade. (I taught 4th grade 25 years ago)

I hated asking God for a sign but I really didn't want to volunteer to do this unless I knew it was God who was leading. I made my request specific, but to tell the truth I'm not sure if it was for discernment or because I hoped that it would be too specific for God to handle.

Duh..... did I really think that request would be too hard for God?


Friday morning I opened my email. You can imagine my shock when I found this waiting in my inbox:

Dear fellow parishioners,

Our parish of Sacred Heart is in need of catechists and adult
assistants for our Wednesday evening K-5 sessions. Specifically...we are
in need of two 2nd gr. catechists, one 3rd gr. catechist, and two 4th grade
catechists.

If you're thinking, "I'm not qualified, I've never been
a catechist before", don't worry! You will receive the help you need to
get started and the teacher/catechist lesson manual is extremely helpful as it
outlines the entire lesson for you, provides stimulating discussion questions,
gives you the evening's Scripture readings, real-life stories, prayers, and
suggests many other additional activities such as games and simple
crafts.

I ask that you think and pray about becoming a catechist or
assistant. Our children's faith formation and religious education is so
important - they need to learn about our Catholic heritage and faith so that
they can better understand the overwhelming love of our God and continue to
mature in their relationship with Him.

If you know of someone in
our parish who you think would be a great catechist, please share this
information with them, or contact me with their name.

I hope
to hear from you soon. Thank you for your prayerful
consideration.

Your friend in Christ,
Ginger



Okay, technically she didn't ask me, she emailed me. And, technically it was a group email, and not just to me personally, but did you catch how she used the word "specifically" in the first part of the email.

I gotta tell you that right now I'm feeling a little like Sarah must have after she laughed at the possibility of becomming pregnant in her old age and God answering "Is anything too hard for the LORD ?

I'll be meeting with Ginger sometime this week to see just what God has in mind.





2 comments:

Mindy said...

Love it...lol. I could really relate to the head down, refusal to make eye contact! We forget that God doesn't need our eye contact...lol :) Those 4th graders are in for a treat!

DeeDee said...

Hey LuAnne...
such a good post. Reality. We put out our fleece ... and God answers so clearly.

I will be praying for you as you start this new adventure.

Blessings,
DeeDee